I'm Gideon Oakes, and I'm running for State Senator in District 30.
As a fourth-generation resident of District 30, I know, love and understand our beautiful state and its people. I love to visit new places and expand my horizons, but at the end of the trip, the feeling of coming home to the Black Hills is simply beyond compare. This is my home, and it’s worth fighting for.
If you’re looking for a politician, there are already plenty of them in Pierre. Instead, I will be a consistent advocate for you, my neighbors in District 30. I am a husband, a father, a friend and an entrepreneur seeking to do what’s best for my family and my community.
I am a small business owner. My wife and I understand what it means to budget and to make payroll every two weeks.
In addition to public service as a two-term town board trustee for the Town of Keystone, I have been very active over the years in the civic community, including organizing the Haunting of Keystone and serving on the Boards of Black Hills & Badlands Association, the Keystone Rural Fire Protection District and United Way of the Southern Black Hills.
Video: We are District 30 (unmute for sound)
These are my pledges to you if I am elected:
- I will work to reduce government spending and return power to the People.
- I will fight to honor the promises we have made to our Veterans.
- I will work hard for the ranchers, farmers and others who work so hard for us.
- I will stand up for the rights of all South Dakotans, not just those who look, think or pray like me.
- I will defend our rights to own and possess firearms and ammunition.
- I will always vote to protect an individual’s right to life.
- I will be a strong ally and advocate for the tourism industry.
- I will support parental rights to educate their children where and how they choose.
- I will protect our public resources against mismanagement and irresponsible neglect.
- I will demonstrate that the message of Liberty does not stop at any one party’s bounds.
I’m running because I believe We The People are more capable of directing our own lives than are bureaucrats.
Over the years, I’ve watched many principled candidates go to Pierre, only to be brought in line by their party leadership. And, I’ve also seen candidates go to Pierre with such a narrow agenda that they become a voice for only a select few.
I will always put principle before party, and above all, I will always listen.
Team Oakes in action (2018)
How to get in touch
When I ran for this seat in 2018, my team and I knocked on more than 3,500 doors and met with thousands of District 30 residents in person. During the age of COVID-19, our opportunity for face-to-face communication will be more limited. That doesn’t mean my team and I will be any less active in reaching out.
My phone number is (605) 388-2379, and I would love to talk, text or video chat with you! Additionally, we will be having events throughout the year, whether online or in-person. Please follow my Facebook page to keep notified about events and discussion of legislative bills if I’m elected.